Amazon’s Echo Show device is essentially just another Echo device. It’s a smart speaker that features a large screen, adding new functionalities to the simple smart speakers Amazon has released before. You can now control your smart devices through the new touch functionality the Echo Show offers.
What Can the Echo Show Do?
The Amazon Echo Show is a smart assistant, just like any other Echo device. With Alexa, you can do a lot of things. From voice-controlling your lights, smart plugs, and any other Alexa-enabled smart devices to making phone calls and playing music.
The best thing about the Echo Show is that you can also use it like a tablet. Making it capable of playing videos and making video calls
Can the Echo Show Make Phone Calls?
Amazon has implemented calls to mobile phones and landlines for Alexa in the US and the UK. Originally, this was a feature available only between Alexa devices, but now, by sharing your contact book with the Alexa app, you can make phone calls with your Echo Show device.
Do You Need Amazon Prime to Use the Echo Show?
Amazon Prime is useful only if you want to use Amazon Music on your Echo Show device. Otherwise, Prime is not needed. The only thing you need is the Amazon Echo app on your smartphone, and you’re good to go.
What About Blink?
Blink is also owned by Amazon, so Alexa integration should come to mind straight away. Blink manufactures inexpensive and efficient security cameras.
Blink’s cameras offer a lot of features for their relatively small price point. Local storage, motion detection alerts, full HD video, two-way audio, and night vision are some of the features it offers. Blink’s security cameras are excellent value for money, making them the best option for people that are looking for affordable and quality security.
The feature that stands out the most is that Blink’s battery-powered cameras have a battery life of up to two years on a couple of AA batteries. However, this is just an estimate based on moderate use, so everyone’s results may vary.
The fact that Blink cameras are able to locally store video is also a feature to look out for. This means that you don’t have to pay for cloud storage and can have video stored on your home devices. Videos are also stored on a separate device and not on the camera itself, meaning that in case something happens to the camera or it gets stolen, your videos are safe.
Is Blink compatible with Amazon Echo Show?
Yes, Blink is compatible with your Amazon Echo Show device! Amazon, being the owner of Blink, has made it possible to use the Echo Show to view a live feed of your Blink security camera. Home security has never been easier than this. Your security cameras are connected wirelessly to other devices in your home and are available to monitor at any time. You can also ask Alexa to show you your camera’s live feed on your Echo Show device’s screen.
How to Connect a Blink Camera to Your Echo Show Device
Connecting your Blink security cameras to your Echo Show device is an easy task. After doing this, you will have on-demand access to your camera’s live video feed and using Alexa, you will have a truly innovative hands-free experience.
Let’s find out how to connect your Blink camera to your Echo Show device:
- Download the Alexa app for your smartphone. If you have an Android device, you can find it on the Google Play Store. If you have an Apple device, you can find it on the App Store.
- In your Alexa app, log in to your Amazon account.
- Open up the menu in the lower right-hand corner and select “Skills and Games”.
- Find the “Blink Smarthome” skill and choose “Enable to Use”. Next, sign-in to your Blink account. If you don’t have an account, you need to register a new account.
- Follow the directions shown on the screen and make sure your Blink camera is discovered and connected.
What Can Alexa Do with Your Connected Blink Camera?
- You can ask Alexa if there has been any motion detected lately by asking: “Alexa, ask Blink when my last motion alert was.”
- Alexa can show you your Blink camera’s live feed by asking: “Alexa, show me” and your device’s name. Your Echo Show device will then display a live feed of your camera.
- If you have smart lightning connected to your Alexa, you can enable a routine function that turns on a light when motion is detected by your Blink camera.
Having your Blink security camera connected to your Echo Show brings a lot of benefits to the table. It allows you to control your camera hands-free through the Alexa smart assistant, adding voice commands to control the feed of your cameras on your Echo Show.