Blink manufactures powerful smart security cameras to protect your home. They offer a variety of models, including the Blink indoor and outdoor, which use a powerful battery that can last up to 2 years, and the Blink Mini, which must be plugged into a power outlet.
You can integrate your Blink devices with the Alexa voice assistant and control them by voice from Alexa-enabled devices, making it extremely convenient for people who want to manage all smart home gadgets from the voice assistant.
These cameras have a plethora of features, including motion-activated alerts, two-way audio to speak and hear people inside your home, infrared night vision, and 1080p video resolution, among others.
In this article you will learn how to connect your Blink device to Alexa. This will enable you to use the voice assistant to control your cameras.
Read More: Is Blink Compatible with Amazon Echo Show?
How to Connect Blink to Alexa
We will now walk you through the process of connecting your Blink camera to your Alexa-enabled devices like Echo Show, Echo dot, smartphone, tablet, etc.
- Open the Alexa app, select “Skills & Games” from the curtain menu in the lower right-hand corner.
- Look for “Blink SmartHome” then choose the skill.
- Then, tap “ENABLE TO USE” which will take you to the “Link Account/Sign In” page.
- Enter your Blink account’s email address and password. For Alexa to perform functions that require enhanced security, you will be asked to create a 4-digit pin code. Then click “Sign In“.
- Multiple factor authentication requires you to confirm a PIN code sent to your mobile device by default.
- Enter the code and then click “Verify Code“. If you haven’t received a code within 2 minutes, press the “Resend Code” button.
- The Alexa app connects to Blink account servers, detects devices, and displays the message “Your Blink SmartHome has been successfully linked“.
- The “Discover Devices” screen appears after you tap “CLOSE“. Although your devices may have already been discovered, it is safer to try again. Select “Discover Devices“.
- After about 45 seconds, the “Setup” screen appears, indicating that a device has been discovered and connected to the “Blink SmartHome Skill“. To begin configuring it, tap “Choose Device“.
- The “Cameras” screen displays the devices you’ve discovered.
After following the steps shown above, you should be ready to use Alexa with your Blink device.
Note: When configuring a Blink camera in the Alexa app, use the same name that you used in the Blink app. Once the setup is complete and the names in both the Alexa app and the Blink app match, you’ll be able to ask your Echo device to do things like “Alexa, show me the Doorbell,” for example.
Useful Alexa and Blink Voice Commands
Ask Alexa to arm your Blink system by saying: “Alexa, ask Blink to Arm.”
Get the status of your Blink system, say: “Alexa, ask Blink to get my status.”
To list your schedule, say: “Alexa, ask Blink to list my schedule.”
To disarm your Blink system say: “Alexa, ask Blink to Disarm; my PIN is (say your Blink PIN).”
Why can’t I connect Blink to Alexa?
For whatever reason, the Blink camera does not always connect to Alexa, making voice control and routines impossible to use. There are some tricks you can use to reconnect your Blink to Alexa, which you’ll learn about in the following sections of this article.
Check the Camera Battery
If you use the battery-powered model, make sure the camera has a sufficient amount of battery because a low battery can cause the device to lose connection to WI-FI and the voice assistant. If the batteries are low on power, try replacing them.
Check your Internet Connection
If you want to control your camera through Alexa, make sure your internet router is powered on, then go do some web searches on your computer or smartphone to ensure that your connection is working properly.
Power Cycle your Blink Mini
Because the Blink Mini does not rely on the Sync module to communicate with Alexa, you can power cycle it directly by following the steps below:
- Unplug the outlet from the wall.
- Wait at least 30 seconds before proceeding.
- Reconnect the power cord and turn on the camera.
- Within a few seconds, the device will reboot and reconnect.
Power Cycle the Sync Module
The indoor and outdoor models use the sync module to connect to Alexa, so if you see a red light in this hub, it means it’s offline; in this case, we recommend power cycling the device to resolve the issue.
- Unplug the wall outlet’s power cord.
- Wait ten seconds.
- Then reconnect the power cord and power on your Sync Module.
- Within 45 seconds, the device will reboot and reconnect.
A solid blue light with a solid green light means that your Sync Module is connected and the problem has been resolved.
Reset your Sync Module
If power cycling the devices hasn’t resolved the issue and the voice assistant isn’t working with your Blink device, you can go and reset the Sync module if you’re using an outdoor or indoor model. Performing a factory reset is thought to be a good solution for connectivity problems.
- The reset button is located on the side of this hub, next to the USB port.
- Get a needle or a paperclip and hold the reset button for 5 seconds.
After 15 or 30 seconds, a blinking blue light and a solid green light appear at the front of the Sync Module, indicating that the hub has been reset. You must now delete and reinstall it on the Blink app, as shown below:
- Launch the Blink app on your smartphone or tablet.
- On the “Sync Module Offline” banner, click the “?” icon.
- Tap the red button labeled “Delete Sync Module“.
- Scan or enter the serial number of the module, then tap “Delete“.
- Return to the home screen and click the + sign in the upper right corner.
- Select “Blink wireless camera system“.
- Scan or enter the serial number of the module once more.
- Tap “Discover Device” after selecting your Blink system.
- Select “Done” after clicking “Join“.
“Couldn’t find a device name Blink” Error
This error message will appear if your devices are not all found in the Alexa app; follow the steps below to resolve this issue:
- Launch the Alexa app > Select “Devices” > Select “Cameras” > Check that all of the Blink devices are listed.
- If not all Blink devices have been discovered, navigate to “Devices“.
- In the upper right-hand corner, tap the “+” icon.
- Then select “Add“.
- Choose “Cameras“, then “Discover Devices“.
When your Blink camera won’t connect to Alexa, you can always try these tips, and if you’re not comfortable with the technology, you can contact Blink customer support on their website for assistance.